Thursday, April 17, 2014

Dear Daughter

Dear Sweet Baby Daughter of Mine...
Confession: the thought of having a daughter completely terrifies me. Yes, I really just admitted that.
Don't get me wrong, baby girl, I absolutely can't wait to meet you. I can't wait to see who you look like, and hold you in my arms, and kiss your sweet face, and dress you up in all the adorable clothes hanging in your closet, and introduce you to your amazing big brother, and see the love in your daddy's eyes when he holds you for the first time. All of that stuff totally excites me. It's what comes later, in the years of raising you into a little girl, teenager, and young woman that totally freaks me out. There are so many things I am afraid of...like not teaching you everything I'm supposed to, and not being the kind of example you need me to be, and mostly, not having the kind of relationship with you as you grow that I so desire to have. I want to not only be your mom, but also your friend. That is my prayer and my desire for us.
Sweet girl, I love you so much already, and I love thinking about all the fun "girly" things we will get to do together as you grow up. I can't wait to get our nails done together, go shopping, play dolls, get our hair done, and do so many other things together that boys just don't understand. I pray that we will make so many fun memories together that you will cherish and always remember.
One of the things I am most looking forward to is the relationship between you and your sensitive, loving, thoughtful big brother who already adores you. He is so excited for you to be here, and tells me every day about all the things he will do to help out, and all the toys he will share with you. You are the luckiest little girl to have a big brother like Hadley.
And your daddy...oh will he be wrapped around your little finger!! He may be the last to admit it, but he is one of the most sensitive caring people you will meet. And he will protect you with his life. We are all so blessed to have him as the leader of our family.
Precious girl, I hope you will always know how much I love you and how special you are to me, despite my nerves or anxiety. You are, and will always be, my little girl, my heart.
Mommy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful letter to a special little girl. For those of us that have daughters...we know exactly how you feel. One of the best things to hold near your heart is that you have people that love you both and are around to help you with the bumps in the road. love to all. Mimi & Papa

Kim said...

Such a sweet letter!!!
You will be a wonderful mom to your little girl and fulfill all of the things in your letter and more!!
I have to say, I would have felt the same way about having a daughter - it would have scared me to death!!!