Monday, October 22, 2012
Breast Cancer Awareness
Since October is Breast Cancer Awareness month I decided to write a little something on that topic.
To tell my story on this topic, I really have to go back to March 2,2011. That was the day that my dear friend, Summer, called and told me she had breast cancer. That was the day that a reality I didn't know even existed became blatantly obvious to me. I mean, Summer was my age (34). She was my friend. She wasn't supposed to get cancer. That happens to other people. People I don't know personally. People I don't love and care about so much. Reality.
Over the next months I watched Summer go through all the treatment necessary to kill, destroy, and remove the cancer from her body. And I witnessed something I already knew about the type of person she is - an amazingly positive, strong, vibrant, brave, Christian woman who is my hero. And today, thankfully, she is cancer free and living a full, happy life while, unknowingly inspiring so many others.
As the year went on, I mentioned to Eric, on more that one occasion, that maybe I should go ahead and have a mammogram. After all, this reality had slapped me in the face and made me understand that cancer can happen to anyone, anytime. So, in February of 2012 (after turning 35 in December), despite my doctor's advice that a mammogram was not necessary until age 40, I scheduled my very first mammogram.
On March 21, 2012 I bravely faced that ominous "boob smashing" machine that women all over dread. And ladies, if you haven't experienced this yet, it's really not that terrible. Uncomfortable - yes, but not terrible. Luckily I had a very nice rad tech doing my exam who was full of helpful information and tips. She actually talked to me quite a bit before the actual exam about the probability that, because this was my very first mammogram, there was a good chance I would get a call/letter to come back for a diagnostic exam. Good information; I listened; I thought "not me"; I got smashed; I left.
A week later, the phone rang. Yep - they saw something and wanted me to come back for a diagnostic mammogram and possibly an ultrasound. (The rad tech was right!) So, on April 9, back to the machine I went. I had the same rad tech (yeah!) who explained in detail what they wanted her to get pictures of (something on both sides), and was quite apologetic every time she "smashed" (especially when she had to re-do the same shot several times!). Once the photo session was over, she immediately got the images to the radiologist to view while I waited. Luckily, that meant I got to sport the beautiful "cape/gown" for even longer! And so I waited (and waited and waited!). Turns out, the radiologist did indeed want an ultrasound done to get more detailed images and information. So, after some more discomfort and a pretty lengthy ultrasound, I learned what the radiologist thought he was seeing. His advice was that I then needed a biopsy to get more information.
The next couple weeks I was basically a stressed mess. What was this "mass"? When would I find out for sure? Would the biopsy be all I needed? What if?? Reality.
On April 23 I had my appointment with a surgeon to discuss the biopsy. Turns out, that appointment turned into him actually performing the biopsy. (And let me interject here - ouch!) We then scheduled a follow up appointment to get the biopsy results. So again, more stressful days wondering. April 26 we went back and found out the biopsy results. The "mass" was a 3 cm benign fibroadenoma. The key word in that statement is "benign". However, my doctor was pretty insistent that we remove the mass anyway. Some doctors might have simply said to come back in 6 months, repeat the mammogram, etc. But I am actually glad that this guy wanted to just remove it. After all, who wants a mass in your body that doesn't belong, and could be hiding things behind it. When in doubt - just remove it!
So very early in the morning of May 2, I checked into the hospital to have the mass removed. I won't go into a lot of detail of the procedures done that morning, but I will summarize: IV, ultrasound, lidocain shot, very big needle stuck into mass, mammogram (to make sure said needle is indeed sticking into mass), sleepy juice, operating room to surgically remove mass, recovery room, home.
A week later, on May 8, I had a follow up appointment with the surgeon to check the healing as well as to get the pathology results from the entire mass that was removed. As this point, my stress level was not quite as high because I trusted the doctor's initial diagnosis. However, I still needed to know that the entire thing was indeed benign and was a fibroadenoma like originally suspected. Results were confirmed, and from that point on I just had to finish healing and move on.
But here's the thing - do you really move on after something like that? Or do you really start thinking about what could have been or what has been for so many others? Reality.
A couple things I want to point out in this little story. First, I go back to my friend Summer. If it hadn't been for her, I probably would not have insisted that I have a mammogram at 35. Second, when I called to tell her about what was going on and tell her about the surgery that was about to be done her very first response was, "I'm going to come be with you." That right there, is a testament to the type of person she is. So thanks, Summer, for inspiring, pushing, supporting, and loving.
Breast Cancer Awareness month takes on a little different meaning to me now. How about you? Have you had a mammogram? If not, go do it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I sure do love you! Reading your sweet words made me cry & I'm just so thankful to have you as my forever friend! It does change your life but now our journeys give us great stories. ;)
Post a Comment