Monday, January 28, 2013
Boys vs Girls
A couple things really bother me about retailers when it comes to toddlers / kids.
1. Clothes - Why can stores not carry equal choices for both boys and girls. I am not exaggerating when I say that, in most stores, the ratio of girls clothes racks to boys is 15 to 1. Seriously! (I count them!) Something is wrong with that. And, to make it even worse, these days most of what stores do carry for little boys looks like it is actually for little girls. I mean, colored skinny jeans for a boy? I don't think so. Not on any boy of mine! Whatever happened to jeans and polo or rugby type shirts? Or even just wind pants and t-shirts. Come on people. Let boys dress like boys! And put more boy clothes in stores. Very frustrating!
2. Toys - Another example of an extremely uneven ratio involves toys for boys and girls. Just look at Disney movies...how many princess movies can they make before they make another boy-interest movie. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Disney or the princess movies, but think about it, boys don't want to watch or especially play with the toys from those movies. However, how many "boy" movies can you think of that have come out lately, and how many of those resulted in a big toy craze? None in the past few years. I don't especially want my son playing with WWF or Star Wars toys, and he hasn't really shown any interest in superheros (Captain America, Spiderman, etc.) so that doesn't really leave much these days. What he does (really) like are Disney Cars and Toy Story. However, lately most toy stores and toy departments are doing away (for the most part) with both of those lines. Toy Story items are pretty much non-existent any more, and the Cars items are quickly dwindling as well. So either keep stocking that stuff, or come out with some better "boy" movies, Disney!
Thank you. That is all the venting I have today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment