Thursday, November 13, 2008

Dr. Appointment

Well, yesterday was yet another doctors appointment. But this one definitely topped any previous appointment! Here are the basic stats:

Weight: don't even want to mention but...+6 pounds
Blood Pressure: 130/78 (a bit high...keep reading)
Baby's Heart Rate: around 130 (same as usual)
Dilation: a little over 1 cm
Baby's Head: still down and touchable upon dr. exam

That all sounds pretty good, and right on par with previous visits. However, there were a couple other issues yesterday. The main one was the protein that was in my urine test. Based on a combination of that, my blood pressure being slightly elevated, and the enormous amount of water I am lugging around in my swollen legs (a.k.a. tree trunks!), the doctor was worried about the possibility of preeclampsia. So, he sent me to the hospital to be hooked up to a monitor for the baby and to have a bunch of blood work done. At first I didn't think much of the fact that he was sending me, but when I arrived (alone, I should add...Eric didn't go with me to the appointment this time assuming it would just be a routine visit), the nurse had me in a L&D room, put on a hospital gown, and climb into bed. Yikes! At this point I was beginning to freak out just a little bit! So there I was, for about two hours, hooked up to a monitor, listening and watching Baby Lew's heart, feeling every single contraction (yes, there were quite a few), having many viles of blood drawn, and feeling just a little bit alone and scared! I wasn't so much worried about the baby (who, according to the nurse and the monitors is doing absolutely wonderful!), I was just thinking, "this was not supposed to happen today...I was just supposed to go to the doctor's and then go home...what is going on???" Well, eventually my lab results came back and everything looked okay. So the doctor released me and just said to try and take things easy until this baby comes. I go back to the doctors office on Monday and at that point he said we might talk about induction sometime next week. So, that is where we are right now. It looks like my body is about ready to say "that's enough...I'm ready to get this baby out!" and that is totally fine with me! So the next week or so should be pretty interesting. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mandi - I am predicting that you will be holding Baby Lew before Monday (just my prediction) based on your doctor visit! I hope you do get to enjoy the shower though. Love ya!