Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sylvan

So I work at Sylvan in the evenings tutoring math. It's the best part of teaching...no parents, no lesson plans, no (or minimal) discipline issues. I have been working there over a year now. I first started back when Eric was looking for a job and we needed the extra money. And now, I just continue because the extra spending money is kind of nice. However, lately (in the last couple months) things there have changed and it has become a not-so-pleasant experience all the time. When I first started, the two girls who were in charge were super nice, and I really liked working with them. They have both, since, had babies and quit, and been replaced. So now, one of the "replacements" is, well, let's just say, she rubs me the wrong way. (Those of you who know me very well know exactly what I mean!) It has just made the whole thing kind of rotten for me - which is a shame because I do really like some of the kids I get to work with.

Another issue I have with Sylvan is that I just get tired of not having any evenings to myself. I usually go in at 5:30 (as soon as I get off my "real job"), and am there until 7:30. So much for making any dinner plans with others, or having a long relaxing evening, or cooking dinner for Eric, or just hanging out. By the time I get home, eat, and get the dishes cleaned up it's time to get ready for bed. It just gets kinda old day after day. I would really love to quit, but am I ready to give up my extra "play" money?

1 comment:

SplineGuy said...

It's great that you are enjoying this opportunity. What levels of math do you tutor most?